One of my favorite things to do as a kid was go in our backyard and pick fresh blackberries from the woods’ edge. Making this off-the-vine blackberry crumble takes me back to those days and is a sweet treat to share with my family
Off-the-Vine Blackberry Crumble
My childhood home sits next to an empty lot in our neighborhood, perhaps the only empty lot in the entire well-established neighborhood. It has been empty for over 30 years and the adventures we had playing there among the trees and vines are some of the best times I can remember.
Our large neighborhood was once an old dairy farm, like many others in Tallahassee, and the lot next door held remnants of old metal tractor parts and barbed wire fences from days past. Each summer it also had a special surprise for us, bushes of fragrant honeysuckle and thorny briars filled with plump, juicy blackberries.
Watch the Video :
We would pick basketfuls of the wild berries right off the vines and bring them into the kitchen where Mom would whip them into something delicious. Key lime pie aside, fruit cobblers, crips + crumbles rank right up there among my favorite homemade desserts, with a little scoop of frozen vanilla ice cream to top it all off.
This recipe is inspired by those fond childhood memories and the fresh off-the-vine berries that miraculously appeared for us each summer.
- 4 cups fresh whole blackberries
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium mixing bowl combine granulated sugar and blackberries to evenly coat berries, set aside. In large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients, including flour, rolled oats, light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add cold, cubed butter using a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the dry ingredient mixture to a gravel consistency.
- Grease baking dish with butter and add sugared blackberries in an even layer across the bottom. Top the berry mixture with the crumble crust mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes on center rack until crumble topping is golden brown. Enjoy!
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.