There is nothing that quite brings you back to your childhood like a hot cup of cocoa + marshmallows. There is just something so nostalgic, warming and whimsical about sipping by the fire in a large, cozy mug.
Homemade French Hot Cocoa
Today I’m sharing a special French version that comes out thicker than the little envelopes you’re used to. Hope you’ll give it a try – it’s great for caroling or enjoying as a Christmas Eve tradition. And, it’s a perfect treat for Santa too.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional, but delicious for intensifying chocolate flavor)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, at least 70%, chopped
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and espresso powder until small bubbles appear around the edges. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Remove from saucepan from the heat and stir in the chopped chocolate until melted, returning the sauce to low heat if needed for the chocolate to melt completely.
- Serve warm, topped off with whipped cream or marshmallows.
WATCH THE VIDEO:
Here’s a little video we put together with our friends from Vietri to go along with this Hot Cocoa recipe.
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.