Sunday Fried Chicken
One of the traditions at the Inn is the weekly fried chicken meal, not much unlike many of us who grew up with special meals on Sundays as a tradition because it is a day of rest and one where we tend to have the most time to prepare a delicious meal. For some it’s pot roast or homemade spaghetti that simmers all day long on the stove, but for many of us still it’s fried chicken after church.
Today I’m honored to share a recipe and tips for making fried chicken adapted from the chicken at the Inn. I don’t generally fry at home so this was something I was a little anxious to tackle. I hope you’ll give this one a try! Oh, and don’t forget to mix it with some classic Buttermilk Biscuits too.
This savory fried chicken is both crispy and juicy, and is perfect for a Sunday meal.
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks, breast + wings)
- Buttermilk (enough to cover / marinade chicken in)
- All-purpose White Lily flour
- Salt + pepper
- In a large bowl or pot, marinade raw chicken and buttermilk for at least one (1) hour. In a rectangular dish, combine flour and salt & pepper for seasoning. Dredge each piece of chicken in your flour mixture, completely coating the chicken. Set onto a sheet pan and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes.
- In a cast iron skillet heat oil and fry chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 150 degrees.
I’d love to know your secret to perfect fried chicken! #HEIRLOOMED
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.