The Spring and Summer seasons are filled with some of the most delicious fruits + vegetables around. While they are known for the season, there is that specific, optimal time where each unique crop is absolutely at it’s peek for a week or two each year.
The produce hero of the moment is rhubarb.
Rhubarb has this perfect, tart flavor that is unlike any other. It is delicious alone or when paired with other berries, such as strawberry or raspberry. My head always goes to pie (in general, not jus with rhubarb …) but another fan favorite is rhubarb jelly.
Today I’m sharing this super simple, seasonal recipe for Rhubarb Slab Pie and it’s just as Southern as you might imagine. Mascarpone, almond and honey play up the flavors of the rhubarb and you can whip this one up in just a few minutes after dinner and top with a fresh scoop of ice cream.
Rhubarb Slab Pie
- FILLING INGREDIENTS :
- Bundle of fresh rhubarb stalks
- 1 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 TBSP cold water
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 4 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg + splash of milk (whisked) for egg wash
- 1 TBSP honey for generous drizzle
- PIE CRUST :
- CLICK HEREfor Nana’s Pie Crust recipe
How to cook Rhubarb Slab Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make pie crust dough as outlined here in recipe. On a floured surface, roll out to rectangular slab and set aside.
- Wash and pat dry rhubarb stalks. Cut stalks in half lengthwise and then slice each segment in half into thinner pieces. Place into a large mixing bowl with flour, cornstarch, almond extract and cold water, tossing to dredge the rhubarb. Add sliced almonds, reserving a handful to sprinkle on top as garnish.
- Spread mascarpone cheese over the pie crust slab, leaving approximately one inch border to fold over the crust. Lay pieces of dredged rhubarb side by side across the mascarpone slab all the way across until completely covered. Sprinkle granulated sugar (reserving a small amount for garnishing the crust) and kosher salt across the top of the rhubarb. Sprinkle remaining sliced almonds across the top of the rhubarb filling.
- Fold edges of pie crust back over to “seal” the slab pie and using a fork to crimp closed. Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash to the rim of pie crust and sprinkle with remaining dusting of granulated sugar. Finally, drizzle entire slab with a generous amount of honey.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until rhubarb is tender. Set aside to cool before slicing. Top with a scoop of fresh vanilla bean ice cream and enjoy!
PIN IT :
SHOP THE POST :
RELATED STORIES :
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.