Beans are a great Southern side dish, and I’d call them a comfort food this time of year. They’re not hard to prepare, but you may find that you’re often missing those flavorful beans your mom used to make. This recipe reveals the secret to that flavor: the ham hock. It brings that smoky flavor to the whole dish and tastes just like you remember it.
I love to garnish my beans with a dash of kosher salt and I serve them with a little pat of butter. Sometimes I’l add a little sprig of thyme to enhance that rustic flavor even more.
This is a great side dish for the whole family that even your kiddos will love.
Ham Hock Lima Beans
- 1 large meaty ham hock
- 4-8 cups large lima beans (cooked)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 medium onions, peeled & quartered
- Salt to taste
How to cook Ham Hock Lima Beans
- Cover ham hocks with water, add onions and garlic, and simmer until tender (about 2 hours). Add celery and carrots for last hour of cooking. When ham is done, remove from pot to cool until it can be handled.
- Remove skin and bones and cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return ham to pot and add drained limas. Cook uncovered for about an hour.
- Taste, adding salt if needed. Mixture should be of thick soup consistency. Add water to thin or mashed beans to thicken. Serve hot in individual bowls with hot cornbread. You may also choose to serve over rice.
Remove skin and bones and cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return ham to pot and add drained limas. Cook uncovered for about an hour.
Love to know what you like to add into your beans for that extra flavor!
SHOP THE POST :
A few more links for you from some of our friends :
Lima Beans / Dixie LIly
Enamelware Bowl / Falcon Enamelware
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.