This homemade cast iron skillet bread is the perfect recipe to keep you warm and cozy. This is especially delish when you top it off with homemade butter and honey.
Cast Iron Skillet Rosemary Bread
I am always looking for ways to incorporate fresh herbs from my garden into my cooking, and this recipe for rosemary bread is one of my favorites. Homemade bread really isn’t all that hard to make and it’s something I’ve wanted to try tackling for some time now. It feels very Appalachian to me and there is just nothing more beautiful than a fresh-baked loaf of bread. I just love the combination of the garden-fresh rosemary with olive oil and sea salt, paired with homemade butter it can’t be beat. The bread bakes up so beautifully in the vintage cast iron skillet I got recently from my local cast iron expert, John.
There is something especially nostalgic about cooking in a cast iron pan, especially one with a story. The cast iron crisps up the outside of the bread just perfectly, leaving the exterior a gorgeous golden-brown, and the inside airy and fluffy.
WATCH THE VIDEO :
- 1 package (about 2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- Start by combing yeast and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add in 1 cup of flour and salt and use a wooden spoon to mix until combined. Stir in the rest of the flour (about 1 cup at a time) until it is completely mixed. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Next, lightly oil the bottom of a 10”-12” skillet. Sprinkle the dough with flour and cover hands as well. Avoid punching down the dough, and shape it into a disk – it will be sticky. Place dough into a skillet and cover loosely with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. Drizzle a little more olive oil over the top of the bread and cut an X shape into the dough. Fill this X with rosemary leaves and salt. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the top of the bread is a deep brown color.
To shop our full collection of vintage cast iron click here.
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about my favorite made-from-scratch recipes, creating traditions with your family, farmhouse home decor, effortless entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, tips on gardening creating a timeless capsule wardrobe, and small town + historic travel. Our product designs feature a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of aprons, table linens, hand-poured candles and keepsake gifts. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.