If you’ve followed along here for any amount of time and perhaps made any recipes from my site (like this one) then you know I’m a fan of cast iron. Like, a big fan.
Cast Iron, Reinvented
It’s a classic Southern staple in the kitchen and although there are a million different recipes I’ve made in my own pans, it’s my Mother and Grandmother’s pans I remember the most and the aromas that filled the kitchen when they used them.
My friends at Lodge Cast Iron were kind enough to send me a special gift and the moment I opened it up I knew exactly why. It wasn’t my love of cast iron but instead the sentiment behind the most special of all their collections to date. This is no sponsored post my friends, this is truly me absolutely loving everything about the new Lodge Legacy Series of pans. And here’s why.
With this special new Legacy Series collection, they are reaching into their archives as far back as 1896, looking at old pieces that have since been retired and bringing them back to life. The first piece in the collection is this gorgeous Fluted Cake Pan.
Subtle details have been changed, design updates that make these pieces work harder and better for today’s kitchen but still true to their origin. The handle is marked with the date of their founding, 1896, giving nod to their generational roots. I cannot wait to see what’s next from this special Series.
The richness of the color in the cast iron of this pan just made me instantly go to chocolate when trying to decide what recipe I should make first. My Grandmother always had a pot of coffee brewing in her kitchen so this Chocolate Espresso Cake with a smooth Chocolate Glaze seems to be well suited for the inaugural celebration.
- 2 cups White Lily flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 cup fresh buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 brown eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch cake pans (click here for a simple tutorialfrom our Made from Scratch series).
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to mixing bowl. Using paddle attachment, stir until combined well.
- Add buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Pour cake batter evenly between the two floured cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely on bakers rack.
- Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl, along with espresso powder and butter.
- In a small saucepan, heat cream until it begins simmering and pour over chocolate, butter and espresso powder. Let stand for about 2 minutes, mixing until smooth. Pour glaze evenly over cake.
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.