On the 8th Day of Christmas Cookies we’ve got these Candy Cane cookies that are just about as Christmas as they come.
12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Candy Cane Cookies
The nostalgia of the candy cane just brings me back to the days of sitting on Santa’s knee, and I still love that moment when Santa gives my little kiddos their own tiny candy canes and brings an instant smile to their faces. These twisted cookies are pretty simple but super whimsical on the cookie plate for Santa on Christmas Eve.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla thoroughly.
- Mix flour and salt together, then add into shortening mixture.
- Divide the dough in half and blend the food coloring into one half.
- Roll a 4 inch strip from each color. I recommend rolling the strips out on a lightly floured board.
- Place opposite colored strips side by side and twist together like a rope.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and curve top of the twisted dough down to form the handle of the candy cane.
- Bake for about 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While warm, remove from baking sheet and sprinkle with candy and sugar. Enjoy!
A few tips on these, sometimes I love to add a splash of peppermint extract for a wonderful extra burst of holiday. Also, be careful when you’re removing these from the cookie sheet so as not to break them. Especially when using an especially light flour like White Lily, the cookies can be very tender if you remove when too hot or slightly underbaked, leading to a broken candy cane. Hope you enjoy!
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Ourblog features stories about family recipes, creatingtraditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Ourshop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linenaprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.