This Homemade Red Velvet cake is a family favorite of mine. We love making this chocolate cake in disguise for birthdays and special occasions in our house. And, it pairs just perfectly with our cream cheese frosting recipe. This easy red velvet cake recipe is is the perfect cake to bake from scratch and this longtime family recipe is just the best red velvet cake recipe you’ll find.
Homemade Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake is a classic dessert among many people. While it is our go-to cake for birthdays and special occasions, to be honest, I didn’t even know it was a chocolate-based cake until I was a little older than I’d care to mention.
Even though this is true, there is still something special about this cake that really does make it taste different! This easy Red Velvet Cake Recipe will become a classic in your family in no time.
Made From Scratch Recipes
Also, I decided to use my little mini cake pans to make this a three tired cake, but the recipe works perfectly for a regular 8” or 9” cake pans as well. This cake pairs perfectly with our cream cheese frosting recipe. Red Velvet Cake is a wonderful treat for Valentine’s Day too, because of it’s beautiful red hue (thanks to a bunch of food coloring, I might add).
Making something from scratch really does make it more special. While making a whole cake may seem daunting, I promise you this is the best Red Velvet Cake recipe.
The very first time I made this classic cake, I was working from Martha Stewart’s “Cupcakes” Cookbook, one of my very favorites. I still have a splattering of red food coloring on my apron to prove it.
Homemade Red Velvet Cake
Homemade Red Velvet Cake Recipe is the perfect cake to make from scratch. It is a quick and easy recipe that will become a favorite with your family. Pair this cake with our Cream Cheese frosting for a delicious dessert.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs (room temperature and separated)
- 2 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1–2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Oil cake pan(s).
- In a large bowl add together sifted flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together using a standing mixer. They should combine into a nice smooth batter.
- Pour batter evenly into pan(s.) Cook time will vary depending the on the size pans being used. test batter using a toothpick, inserted in the center of the cakes until it comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans. Let them cool completely before icing.
Special Ways to Serve Dessert
As you know by know my love for vintage goods always expands to the kitchen and table. I love to find these beautiful transferware plates to serve each piece of dessert on making it all the more special.
Homemade Red Velvet cake is a classic, and I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. I’d love to know what other dessert recipes you’d like to see on the blog. Let us know!
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about my favorite made-from-scratch recipes, creating traditions with your family, farmhouse home decor, effortless entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, tips on gardening creating a timeless capsule wardrobe, and small town + historic travel. Our product designs feature a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of aprons, table linens, hand-poured candles and keepsake gifts. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.