While I love a classic, Southern recipe sometimes I like to try something a little different. For some reason coconut and Easter just go hand-and-hand to me and this Coconut Cake is the perfect dessert to celebrate the occasion. With the warm weather creeping up I have been craving the summery taste of coconut. Not only is it a fun + pretty ingredient to work with – but the taste and texture is so fresh and unique.
Coconut Cakes are also beautiful for baby + bridal shower celebrations or a baptism where the symbolic white color of the cake + coconut makes a beautiful statement.
- 12 oz cream cheese , let it soften to room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter – microwave for about 15-30 seconds to soften butter
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (this can be up to you based on how much flavor + texture you want to add)
How to cook Buttercream Frosting
- Use an electric mixture, with the paddle attachment, to whip butter with cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Slowly mix in the coconut extract. Continue whipping on medium speed adding in the powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- If the texture seems a bit runny, you can chill as needed to help it thicken up. DO note however, that the coconut will help it stay in place.
- For another classic frosting recipe, Cream Cheese Frosting, click here
This cake turned out beautifully and filled my summery craving. I love using my cake plates whenever I get the chance. I ended up taking this cake to my small group meeting, and it was certainly a hit.
What are some of your favorite dessert to share with others? Let me know in the comments below.
SHOP THE POST:
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.