A classic dessert recipe for Southern Banana Pudding, a summer staple that the kids will enjoy as a favorite for years to come. This recipe is part of our Southern Kitchen Bucket List – click to learn more about the challenge.
Classic Banana Pudding
I don’t think I have ever turned down a big scoop of banana pudding and this recipe in particular has my family and me licking our bowls clean. I mean, even if you don’t love bananas, odds are you will still love this dessert. Its rich, creamy and sweet and really everything you could ever ask for in a dessert.
My husband’s aunt makes a wonderful homemade recipe and it’s become a BBQ staple dessert around their parts.
Not only is this pudding absolutely delicious, but it also makes for a beautiful, bright treat to serve during the summer time. We almost always have bananas on hand in our house so it’s nice to be able to pull ingredients I already have without making an extra trip to the store. It’s so easy to whip up for a get-together or to just make with my kids during the summer.
Classic Banana Pudding
This classic dessert will bring back fond memories of your childhood with its sweet, tangy taste.
- 1 box Vanilla instant pudding (5 oz)
- Ripe Bananas
- 2 c Milk
- 1 can Sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- Vanilla cookie wafers
- Frozen whipped topping (1 container)
- Mix vanilla pudding mix in a bowl with milk. Then mix in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping until well incorporated. Do not over stir though, you want to maintain the integrity of the whipped-ness!
- In a dish, begin layering vanilla wafer cookies, banana slices, and pudding mix. Top with a few crumbled up cookies and a fresh banana slice for a beautiful look. To save for later, keep this pudding in your fridge.
The key to the perfect banana pudding is to find the perfect bananas— golden yellow with a few brown spots. I love topping this off with a dollop of homemade whipped cream and a few extra banana slices for good measure. I also love the mix of textures in banana pudding with a sprinkling or layer of crispy, fresh Nilla Wafers – they just take me back to being young.
What memory does this classic banana pudding make you think of? Let me know in the comments below.
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about my favorite made-from-scratch recipes, creating traditions with your family, farmhouse home decor, effortless entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, tips on gardening creating a timeless capsule wardrobe, and small town + historic travel. Our product designs feature a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of aprons, table linens, hand-poured candles and keepsake gifts. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.