This Calypso Pie is a family recipe I love making for Christmas dinner dessert every year. Comprised of coffee ice cream and chocolate goodness, it is a recipe you must introduce to your family.
There are few things I love more than a delicious pie recipe. Whether savory or sweet, a pie is a food I find hard to turn down, and one I always love finding new recipes for. This Calypso Pie recipe comes from my aunt’s kitchen, and one I cherish making each year. It is tradition that I whip this pie up for Christmas dinner dessert each year. It makes the sweetest ending to a wonderful day full of family and celebrating.
As one of my favorite family pie recipes, I was especially excited to share this pie in collaboration with my friend Amanda at Southern Baked Pie. If you missed picking it up in one of their stores last week, never fear. I am sharing the recipe for you to make at home and add to your recipe box!
Collaborating with Southern Baked Pie was such a treat, and I loved seeing the recipe come to life outside of my own family’s kitchen.
This pie is one that my whole family looks forward to indulging in on Christmas night. I plan to keep this family tradition going for years to come in the hopes that it becomes a nostalgic and memorable part of my kids’ Christmas memories. Everyone needs a go-to pie recipe in their arsenal!Print
This delicious pie is a family recipe that I make every year for Christmas dinner dessert. It is sure to be a hit for the whole family.
- 18 Oreo Cookies, crushed
- 1/4 c melted butter
- 3 sqs. unsweetened chocolate
- 1/3 c butter
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 oz. evaporated milk (2/3 c)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1 qt coffee ice cream
- 1 c whipping cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- Mix crushed cooked (cream filling included) with butter. Press into 10″ pie plate and chill.
- Melt chocolate and 1/3 c butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and salt. Add evaporated milk gradually, blending well. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Cool to room temperature.
- Coarsely chop pecans and set aside. While shell and sauce thouroughly chill, set out ice cream to soften slighly. Fill pie shell with ice cream and put in freezer until ice cream is firm again.
- Beat whipping cream until it just holds a peak. Beat in powdered sugar.
- Spread fudge sauce over ice cream layer, then top with whipped cream and sprinkle with pecans. Store in freezer until ready to serve. Remove and let sit a few minutes before serving.
heirloomed is a lifestyle brand with a mission of “keeping heirlooms around for another generation.” Our blog features stories about family recipes, creating traditions with your family, interior design and entertaining by mixing new and vintage pieces, classic style, and small town + historic travel. Our shop features a collection of “goods inspired by the past, for generations to enjoy” with an array of products and meaningful gifts including linen aprons, tabletop linens, art, ceramics and beyond. Learn more at www.heirloomedcollection.com.