- 4 cups confectioners sugar (sifted)
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 9–10 Tablespoons room temp water
- Gel food coloring for dying (optional)
- Using a hand or stand mixer (with whisk attachment) beat all ingredients together on high speed for about 5-7 minutes. When lifting the mixer out the icing should drizzle down in about 10 seconds. If your consistency is too thick, add 1 teaspoon of water at a time smooth it out. On the other hand, if it’s too thin, add a little more sifted confectioners’ sugar.
NOTE: Royal icing takes about 2 hours to set completely. If you need it to dry faster, place cookies in the refrigerator to help speed up the process.