For the Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 cups chopped ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Vegetable shortening
For the Frosting
- 2 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup salted butter or margarine, softened
- 2 (16-oz.) pkg. powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
For the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in vanilla, pineapple, bananas, and toasted pecans.
- Divide batter evenly among 3 well-greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely, about 1 hour.
For the Frosting:
- Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in vanilla extract. Increase speed, and beat until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Assemble Cake:
- Place the first cake layer on a serving platter; spread top with 1 cup of the frosting. Top with second layer, and spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with third layer, and spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Arrange pecans on top of the cake to your liking.