This hearty, creamy bisque is the perfect soup to warm you up during the fall.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup diced carrots
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ground nutmeg to taste
- Heat oil and melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir onion into oil and butter and cook until tender.
- Mix carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to pot and stir in heavy cream. Place pot back on stove and heat through, but do not boil. Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.
- Note: Crème fraîche and thyme make great garnishes as well.