- 1 whole chicken (approx. 4–5 lbs)
- 2 onions, quartered
- 8–10 cloves of garlic
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 bundle fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- Kosher salt
- Ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and position your oven rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Remove the package of giblets from the cavity of your whole chicken and set until at room temperature. Pat the chicken dry and rub half of the softened butter and 4 minced garlic cloves all over over the chicken. Season with minced rosemary, cayenne powder, salt and pepper.
- Generously season cavity of chicken with salt and pepper and stuff with lemon quarters, several cloves of whole, smashed garlic, 2-3 quarters of onion and 2 whole rosemary sprigs. Truss legs with cooking twine and tuck wings under bird.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan breast-side-up with the remaining onion, garlic, lemons and rosemary. Roast for 25 minutes and then baste with juices. Roast another 25-30 minutes longer, until the skin is lightly browned. Roast for about 15-20 minutes longer or until your thermometer reaches 155°- 160° as measured on the thickest part of the thigh, until juices are running clear.
- Allow the bird to rest for 15 minutes and carve to serve. Enjoy!
Keywords: whole roasted chicken in the oven, chicken recipes, family dinner recipes, dinner, chicken, entree