These gingerbread men are so fun to make with your kids around the holidays. Decorate them, or eat them plain.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark molasses
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 7 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Mix shortening, sugar and molasses thoroughly. Stir in water. Blend all dry ingredients and then add to wet mixture.
- Chill in refrigerator for now.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll chilled dough 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut with gingerbread man cookie cutter.
- Place cut out gingerbread men a couple inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until no imprint remains in dough when lightly touched.
- Ice cooled cookies with your desired icing recipe (optional). Enjoy!